Often we want to give and to make an impact but never know where to start. Dropping off donations at a box in a parking lot (although helpful) doesn't always provide the personal connection we seek. There is a place in Salt Lake called the Rescue Mission (Rescue Haven for Women) that is always in need of donations and does provide a personal connection. I've spoken to both the Executive Director and to the House Mother and they are both warm, kind, giving Christians who are appreciative for any donations. However, upon further probing they did communicate specific needs.
If you want to do a great deed this holiday season, consider donating to one of these two places. They will be so grateful...you will be so happy you followed through.
The Rescue Mission (MEN) needs:
- men's underwear / briefs in all sizes
- men's under t-shirts in all sizes (Family Dollar has packages of Hanes for $5)
- personal hygeine products (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.)
- men's clothing in all sizes
They like to provide each homeless or addicted individual that passes through their doors with a clean outfit and a hot shower. All of the above donations would contribute towards that experience. The need is so great that once when dropping off some of B.'s items, they literally ran inside the building to pass them out. It made me wish I had more. The desperation was quite apparent.
Because the Rescue Haven (WOMEN) houses both women and children, their needs of course, are more extensive. The following items are top on their list right now, although the House Mother reiterated how grateful they would be for anything.
The women are in most need of:
- paper products (tp, paper towels)
- cleaning supplies (comet, 409, chlorox wipes, anything)
- personal hygeine produts (razors, cream, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, tampons, etc.)
- bras (the h.m. mentioned that 38C is a popular size but all sizes welcome)
- panties (size medium to large)
For the Children:
- diapers (sizes 3, 4, 5) and wipes
- clothing (size 7 boy, size 9 boy, size 8 girl, 16-month-old girl, size 12 girl, size 4 girl)
If you have any questions regarding the Rescue Haven, feel free to call the House Mother, Kaylynn, at 521.5925. She's a gem.
You can drop off at any time that is convenient for you.
Rescue Mission (MEN): 463 S. 400 W.
Rescue Haven (WOMEN) 1165 S. State Street