• 08 April 2010
Oh my. Look at these lovely images from all these hotels...I'd take any one of 'em and feel like I'd died and gone to heaven...
If you've ever researched hotel rooms in Paris, you've probably been shocked at the prices. I know I have--they're like NY prices, but worse. And then you add in the exchange rate...but, there is good news! Charming, lovely, "affordable" hotels in the heart of Paris do exist (all of the images above depict such hotels). In fact, it appears there are several choices! Each of these beautiful hotels are priced between $100 and 200 per night USD. Here they are in no particular order:
1. Hotel des Grandes Ecoles - classic French - lots of charm (or so it seems from the website)
2. Hotel du Danube - what a great neighborhood to be in and the hotel looks amazing.
3. Familia Hotel - in the lively Latin Quarter
4. Also, a new-to-me chain of boutique hotels in Paris called Tablet seems like a fabulous resource. I'd love to try one of their hotels sometime. What a killer combination..."affordable" and "boutique". Awesome! Cool website too (it's modern, navigable, and organized unlike many French sites).
5. Chambres d'hotes in Paris are the ultimate in affordability. Typically home/apartment owners, rent out one room in their own residence to travelers. In the morning they typically offer you a simple French breakfast of yogurt, juice/coffee/hot chocolate, bread and jam. We've had some fun experiences staying at chambres d'hotes outside Paris and in the countryside elsewhere. It's a great deal.
7. Priceline - Okay so you won't find a charming (in the Parisian sort of way), affordable hotel here, but you will find an affordable, room in a "luxury hotel" for under $200 USD/night.
(update! I have to add Hotel du Petit Moulin--a popular boutique hotel that's affordable!)
Forgive me...I couldn't help but include a few gorgeous hotels that one wouldn't necessarily put in the "budget" category; but they aren't up there with the Four Seasons either ($1,300/night in Paris!). These two lovely hotels are in the 300€ range, which is about $425/night. Definitely a splurge in my book, but fun to drool over anyway. Someday...
* Hotel Particulier
* Hotel de l'Abbaye
p.s. if you're planning a trip to Paris and want a little direction, check out my previous posts on Paris as well as Jordan's Paris Guide.