Since all of my children were born in the winter, I don't have any parties to plan at the moment. But I wish I did! Because summertime is truly the perfect time to throw a party. Outdoors + water + sun + a mess-that's-easy-to-clean-up = bliss for the party planner.
So, here are some of the party ideas floating around my head right now--all centered around postage stamps in fact. You may think it silly to plan a party around a postal stamp, but it's actually a fun way to get the ball rolling and to add a thoughtful detail. For me it all started in college when those pretty Georgia O'Keefe poppy stamps came out and I just happened to have the same print in blank card form. It sort of became an addiction--matching postage stamps to invitations and such. I may have even paid an extra 30 cents a wedding invitation just so I could have lovely, matching stamps on the exterior envelope...(go ahead, roll your eyes, my dad did!).
1. Wizard of Oz Birthday Party - Think Kansas stamps, red glitter shoes and a yellow brick road leading to the treat table. A great party idea for both boys and girls so if your child wants to invite his/her whole class...(good luck). I also like the idea of a Halloween party planned around a Wizard of Oz theme. Extra credit: bring a real puppy in a basket and pretend he goes by the name of Toto.
2. Is a night of charades is in order next weekend? The kind where you munch on yummy appetizers and have grownup conversations while the babes slumber? Well then you must invite bonified actors and actresses like Ronald and Katherine. Or, perhaps the Cinema Stars Bundle is more up your alley?
3. Cowboy Birthday Party - I threw one of these a few years ago for my little guy and so did Danyelle recently. Peek at our parties here and here for inspiration. These cowboy-ish stamps would've been great for the invitations. I can also see them being a fun addition to a camping themed birthday party or a scavenger hunt themed party too.
4. Starting a book club? Send out these hilarious letterpress invitations and adorn them with some handsome Mark Twains. Sometimes it's nice to go all out on that first club meeting...and a little humor goes a long way! Extra credit: gift your new members a copy of your favorite Jane Austen book and attach these tags to the nicely-wrapped packages. Aaah, Pemberley.
5. Indy 500 - Fast and Furious is the name and setting up race tracks everywhere is the game. Add in these awesome classic Indy 500 stamps for the party invitations to set the mood. Here is a sweet Indy-themed party to stir up some inspiration found at new-to-me-blog Ruby Red Studio.
6. When I planned my son's fairly recent Outer Space Birthday party, I used vintage stamps on the invitations; but, if you don't want to pay the extra postage (vintage, unused stamps sell for more than face value) then these are a fantastic option. You must check out the online version of the Greenwood Space Travel Supply store. It's so funky. Seattleites, you must stop by in person!
images 1, 3 - usps / image 2 - Danyelle Mathews / images 4, 5 - Stephanie Brubaker for stephmodo