Prior to this trip we'd never visited this region of France. It did not disappoint. Here are just a few reasons why we love it:
1. lush, tree-covered hills everywhere
2. rocky ledges tucked into those hills making for great contrast
3. a lazy, wide and very picturesque river (the Dordogne) winds its way through the region
4. castles everywhere you turn
5. great food and a market everyday within minutes
We approached the village we used as a homebase all week and this is what we saw around the bend. It was dusk. Minutes later we discovered that we were a mere 5-minute walk from this incredible chateau. I cannot express our exhileration...
Here is our apartment we rented (such a better deal than a hotel) and these are our keys. No joke. Try carrying these around all day! My little guy loves it so much that he is constantly asking "to go back to the apartment". This staying-in-a-Medieval-village gig is the way to go! We are falling in love with this region by the minute.